With only 22 days left in the year, by my standards, it’s close enough to the end of the year to do some remembering….
At this time a year ago, I had just lost my job, had a minor nervous breakdown, left my apartment, and was chronically ill with upper respiratory infections.
I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, but I knew that being squashed creatively, being stuck in a cubicle, and being held to very strict timeframes on when I could go to the restroom and check my facebook (I’m an addict, okay?) was not for me.
At this time in 2009, all I had to my name was a few clothes,Pinkie Sparkleshine, my bed, and my computer.
I was drinking heavily, and that, in conjunction with stress, I believe, was making me super sick all the time.
Have I mentioned that bad decisions in the past had a big part in things?
Here’s a list of things I’ve learned this year….
- The person you think to be your biggest enemy can end up being your best ally.
- The people with whom you choose to surround yourself play a REALLY big part in how others see you.
- Success is the very best revenge.
- Sometimes, the people you think are your best, closest, ‘there no matter what’ friends… really aren’t. Sometimes you are better off without them.
- There is nothing at all wrong with spending the entire day, dressed in pajamas, watching movies or reruns of certain reality shows.
- Business is business. It’s NOT PERSONAL.
- It really is possible to make things far more difficult than they really need to be… There is beauty in simplicity.
- Organization will get you EVERYWHERE.
- If I have to play by the rules… So do you. So there.
- Sometimes a pink, fruity drink can fix everything.
Don’t think for a second that I’m done.
I have a long way to go, but I believe I have armed myself with the tools I need to be successful and to get myself where I would like to be in life.
I fully expect 2011 to be a FABULOUS year, and I intend to have a lot of adventures along the way!!
What have you learned this year??